Cappuccino Cheesecake Brownies
Tuesday, July 27
This layered tray bake by Tala looks much more complicated to make than it really is. You don't need a mixer to make it as the mix is very liquid and whips up by hand in just a few minutes, filling the house with the most enticing coffee aroma as it bakes. The dark chocolate glaze perfectly complements the salty tang of the cheesecake layer, both sitting on top of a dense, nutty coffee-flavoured brownie. This is a real grown-up treat worth sharing with a friend over a freshly brewed pot of coffee.
- Free-range eggs: 2
- Instant coffee granules: 1tsp
- Demerara sugar: 125g (4 1/2oz)
- Margarine or butter: 100g (3 1/2oz), melted
- Plain flour: 250g (8 3/4oz)
- Baking powder: 1/2tsp
- Salt: 1/2tsp
- Chopped walnuts: 75g (2 1/2oz)
- Butter: 80g (2 3/4oz)
- Cream cheese: 80g (2 3/4oz)
- Icing sugar: 150g (5 1/4oz)
- Dark chocolate: 100g (3 1/2oz)
- Butter: 40g (1 1/2oz)
- Milk: 1tsp
- Golden syrup: 1dsp (2tsp)
- Indigo and Ivory Mixing Bowl
- Tala Performance Quarter Baking Tray
- Non-stick baking paper
- Tala Pudding Basin and Lid: small
- Tala Silicone Spoon Spatula
- Saucepan: small
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C (338˚F/Gas Mark 3-4).
- Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl and whisk briefly. Add the sugar and coffee granules to the egg, whisk again, and then set aside for 10 minutes to allow the granules to dissolve.
- Meanwhile, line the Tala Performance Quarter Baking Tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter or margarine into the small Pudding Basin and microwave until melted. Whisk the butter into the egg mixture, and then fold in the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking tray and bake for around 20–25 minutes until the mixture is still moist but starting to turn a deeper shade of brown around the edges. Remove once baked and allow the brownie to cool in the tin on a cooling rack.
- Prepare the cheesecake layer by creaming the softened butter with the icing sugar, then loosening the mixture by folding in the cream cheese. Set aside the mixture until the brownie layer is completely cool.
- Remove the brownie from the baking tray and, using a silicone spatula spoon, smooth the cheese mixture evenly across the top. Chill for at least an hour.
- Prepare the chocolate glaze next by placing all the ingredients into a small saucepan and heating over a very low flame, stirring all the while until the glaze is smooth, glossy, and lump-free.
- Allow the glaze to cool slightly before spreading over the top of the cheese layer with the same, cleaned spatula spoon
- Chill briefly, until the glaze sets slightly, then cut into squares with a very sharp knife, wiping the knife between each cut to keep the slices looking perfectly crisp and clean.
- Serve and enjoy the delicious results!
For more information, visit Tala's website HERE.