All ProjectsBirdcage Wedding Cake
Birdcage Wedding Cake
by Liz Finch
Sign in or register for free to access the full project.
Find out how to make this beautiful wedding cake with bird motifs, bunting and simple sugar flowers.
With its popular theme of birds and birdcages, this cake has appeared in the Wedding Cakes Showroom at a previous Squires Kitchen Exhibition. Simple sugar flowers including hydrangeas and roses and a soft dove-grey colour scheme give the cake a modern, shabby chic look.
What you'll learn
- Covering the Board: Prepare and cover the double-depth cake drum to provide a good base for the cake.
- Dummy Tiers: Find out how and why to include dummy cakes when constructing double-height cake tiers.
- Covering the Cakes: Use marzipan and sugarpaste to cover the cakes then dowel and stack them for a professional-looking structure. Also discover how to create lengths of sugarpaste to neaten the base of each cake.
- Stencilling and Piping: Discover the techniques behind stencilling a design onto a cake neatly using royal icing.
- Birdcage: Find out how to use flower paste to create the bars and finial of the birdcage on the top tier.
- Bunting and Lettering: Make personalised bunting to add your own message to the cake design.
- Hydrangeas: Use flower paste and cutters to make these simple and attractive bracts.
- Blossoms: Find out how to make pretty blossoms quickly and easily to decorate the cake.
- Roses: Learn how to create beautiful, unwired roses: classic blooms which could decorate a wide range of cakes.
- Finishing Touches: Position the flowers on the cake and trim the cake drums with ribbon to finish the look.
Access the complete project
This project is FREE, register now or sign in to see the complete project.