Ombre Cake with Oriental String Work
by Vivian Lee
Sign in or register for free to access the full project.
Learn how to pipe gravity-defying oriental string work around a cake for stunning results.
Oriental string work involves piping a series of overlapping loops around the side of a cake to make intricate designs. The purple ombre colour scheme for this design shows how oriental string work can make a bold design seem lighter and more delicate. In this project, you'll also learn the techniques of brush embroidery for the flowers and piping a run-out for the elephant.
What you'll learn
- Covering the Cakes: Prepare the cakes for covering with royal icing and find out how to give them a smooth, colourful covering for the best results.
- Oriental String Work: Master the technique of piping on the cake both upside-down and the right way up to create this gravity-defying decoration.
- Stacking the Cakes: Find out how to stack the cakes safely once the oriental string work is in place.
- Brush Embroidery: Discover why you need to mix piping gel into royal icing to create the brush-embroidered flowers and butterflies.
- White Elephant: Use run-out techniques and the template provided to create a white elephant to stand upright on top of the cake.
Access the complete project
This project is FREE, register now or sign in to see the complete project.